Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Oliveros Mining Company

When we visited Grandma and Grandpa in Kansas a few weeks ago, we went to one of our favorite places--the Deanna Rose Farmstead. It's been around since I was a kid, but has grown significantly. Most of it is interactive and geared towards learning. My kids love to bottle feed the baby goats, milk the "cow" (next to the real dairy cow), visit the Indian sod house and the one-room schoolhouse, and  fish in the pond among other things.

Their favorite activity this time? Mining for "priceless" rocks. (Actually, they cost way more than they're worth. The farmstead is free on the weekdays, but some activities cost.) Here are a couple pics of their mining adventures.




Our current read aloud is Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder. There have been a few times I've referenced the farmstead in our reading. When Almanzo described his school house I reminded the kids of sitting in desks in the one-room school house and writing on slate boards. When the stove was described, I could remind them of the school house's wood-burning stove they opened and looked into.

Coordinating the book and the activity wasn't done on purpose (but I'll pretend I was that good of a planner). I'm a big fan of hands-on activities for my kids--they stick better than classroom learning alone.

(I lied. Mining was a second favorite. My kids' first favorite was eating ice cream.)

No comments:

Post a Comment