Monday, May 4, 2015

Music and the Boy

About a year ago, my son began piano lessons. Thus began his love/hate (probably mostly hate) relationship with a musical instrument. Somedays, especially when it means showing off for someone, he sits down and zooms through his memorized pieces (much too fast). Most days--usually when he's practicing--he wants to quit. I tell him he needs to stick with it, at least for now.

I remember hating piano. My mom made me stick with it, and when the time came that she would let me off the hook--I wanted it. So I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did. That would be great if J chooses piano, too, someday...even if now, he declares:

I don't want to practice piano right now! You can't make me. I don't need to practice the piano because when I grow up I'm going to be an NBA player, not a music player! 

(One day you'll thank me, J.)

No comments:

Post a Comment