Thursday, April 30, 2015

Why I Read

I was such a bookworm when I was young. And yup--I was a nerd. I suppose I still am a nerd. This is an acknowledged fact among my family and loved ones, and I'm happy to own it.

When I was young, more times than not I'd be found curled up somewhere with a book. In fact, I remember one family vacation to California spent on my cousin's top bunk reading all her Sweet Valley Kids and Little Sister Babysitter Club books. I also remember the sheer joy of one Christmas morning snuggled in my bed reading my newest gift (although I can't remember which book now) and eating Twizzlers. (Twizzlers are also sheer joy.)

My happy places? Libraries and bookstores. One of my favorite places to go in Provo, Utah when the stress of college got me down (other than the mountains!) was the Provo Library. It was once BYU Academy, and when I began attending BYU, it was just a tumble-down, dilapidated building. While I was there, they fixed it up into something beautiful, and it was there I found peace...among the books and quiet corners.

Reading has always been an important part of my life, a joyous escape. Oddly, when I was in high school, I didn't read as much. I suppose I was busy with other things and so busy reading all my assigned reading that I didn't have much time for it. (Which may be why the middle grade genre gives me much more nostalgia than YA.) But, in college and especially once I married (when I started getting into the classics for some reason!) I fell into it again.

Now I hand it to my children like a platter with a big, iced cake (see? can't get away from those cake analogies) and say here! see this! read this! I spend way too much on books for my children. (Shoes are a close second.) I am good about not spoiling them with toys, but books are another story. I spoil them with books! I haven't decided if this is a good thing or not.

I hope this is a legacy I can hand to my children. My love of reading. I believe you can't go wrong with a well-placed love of reading.

J always has a stack of books and magazines (and some kind of drawing pad) on his headboard. Usually there is a book light perched on top. He listens when I tell him to turn it off because he hasn't yet discovered the art of reading under covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment