Monday, March 16, 2015

Let's Start with a Fairy Tale

Tonight we took the kids to see Cinderella. I loved the movie. I want to own the movie. While I do like the sword-wielding, arrow-fighting princesses of late, I loved that this movie showed there are other ways of being strong and brave.


It was K's debut trip to the movie theater, and at first it terrified her. I suppose if I put myself in her two year-old shoes, I would feel like the television had swallowed me. She clung to us until I took her out, but when we returned during the Frozen short, she smiled her shy smile like it had been made just for her. And while I'd like to say she remained enraptured for the entire feature-length film, this would not be true. Red vine bribes were necessary. Also, she wanted to scale the movie theater seats. I consider ourselves lucky K didn't burst into song.

A declared her favorite scene was "when she got her new dress" and her not-so-favorite scene...well, I know it had something to do with the stepmother. (Yes, I wish I was the type of mother who remembered everything my children said, but mothering comes at the expense of remembering things. It's a conundrum.) What I do remember is afterward, at Chick-fil-a, A and I spent most of the time in the bathroom. (The forgetful parts of my mothering brain exclude poop. This is also a conundrum.) She asked when we could buy the movie. Sweet girl, maybe I'll take her to go see it again, just she and me.

And J--well, I believe he liked it. He was more concerned with eating the red vine bribes I bought for his baby sister than watching an epic love story. Also, at every sad part or sort-of-sad part, he would look at me and say, "Don't cry!" He HATES it when I cry, and cry during movies I often do. However, I didn't cry during this one...although there were many parts that merited a cry (like when Prince Kit curled up next to his dying father and wept)(so sad). J did write a "diery" entry when he returned home. While a night of wrangling a two year-old and the Chick fil-a bathroom was still fresh on my mind, he reminded me...

The day was asome (awesome) here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment