Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Halloweensie Contest

Some of you may know I'm a closet PB writer. There is a contest running this week on Susanna Hill's blog for a PB crit, and here is my 100 word entry using the words black cat, spooky, and cackle. Boo!

Scared of Nothin'

“There’s nothin’ scary about Halloween,” Calvin said. He was dressed as a black cat. “It’s just a bunch of monsters and goblins and stuff.”

“I like the parts with candy corn,” said Lily, a princess with wings.

“I like the candy parts, too,” said Michael. He wore a cowboy hat and boots. “The rest is spooky.”

“Nothin’ scares me,” Calvin said. “Watch this.” He lifted his claws and hissed. Michael and Lily screamed.

A witch walked over and cackled. Calvin jumped, and his cat ears fell off. It was Calvin’s mom. Calvin looked down and smiled. “Almost nothin’ scares me.”

The End of Spookiness


AND, I'm participating in PiBoIdMo, which is a little less daunting than NaNoWriMo (which I'm unofficially participating in)(maybe)(we'll see). So here it goes...

26 comments:

  1. What a fun story! Like you, I'm going to try to do PiBoIdMo. And also trying to NaNo (unofficially in secret). Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! "Nothing scares me." Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three kids. They are always afraid of something, right?

      Delete
  3. I like the candy corn parts too! Fun story. Good luck with PiBoIdMo and NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (I like the 3 Musketeer parts. The ones I steal out of my kids' trick-or-treat bags.)

      Delete
  4. Cute little story, Jessie! Good luck with PiBo and NaNo; where in the same crazy boat. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woops, meant to type 'we're'...must get more coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was fun. Thanks for sharing your story. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see yours. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Even tough kitties are afraid of something it seems :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100 words is hardly room for a plot, so that was the idea:)

      Delete
  8. There's a lot to like about this little story, Jessie! It reminds me of a time when I pretended to be the Wicked Witch of the West for my daughter and she cried. :( Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story! I love how Calvin's swagger gets taken down a notch by Mom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jessie! I'm delighted to meet you through the Halloweensie Contest! I am always glad to know another mother, writer, and lover of chocolate cake :) I'm doing PiBoIdMo too - but not NaNo this year! I love your story. Very kid-friendly, and how appropriate that the only thing able to strike fear into Calvin is his mother :) Great ending :) Thanks so much for joining in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. “Nothin’ scares me,”,unless it is a witch suddenly cackling! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a funny ending! I loved it. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, so cute! I'm sorta doing both PiBoIdMo and Nano, too. Come November 30th, we're gonna need a long rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A long rest, just in time to get ready for Christmas:)

      Delete
  14. This is really cute! Well done, Jessie. Have a creative November with PiBoIdMo and NaNoWriMo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute!!

    I never do NaNo... At the rate I write, I'd have to freeze the entire household with a freeze-ray for all 30 days to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Heidi, I'm beginning to see it might just not be possible for me. If I can borrow that freeze-ray I'd really appreciate it.

      Delete
  16. Adorable story. So true to life. Good luck with your November writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jessie! One of the best things about Susanna's Halloweensie Contest (other than the sheer fun of participating) is meeting new faces. So nice to connect with you.:)
    This is a really cute story...love the voice...and the message.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, super cute! I didn't know you wrote picture books. I bet that's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete