Tuesday, July 9, 2013

This Querying Thing

I've been at writing novels for a few years, but I finally had a book worth querying only two months ago. (This is not including a small flirtation with querying a picture book a couple years back.) And what may be surprising to you (but not really surprising at all) is...it isn't as fun as I thought it would be! Having a book in the querying stages was a Great Milestone for me, and I thought once I was there it would be like a fun game. But I find it really tests my patience and humility.

However, I have a plan--a targeted number of agents to query before I shelve A PRETTY PIRATE PICKLE, and even an idea for some modifications. But best of all, I am in love in my new book...which isn't so "new" to me. It has been in my head and heart and partially written for several months now. I'm so excited for this project, so that IF it comes time to shelve my first baby...I think I'll be okay. Because my new book is about a small town girl's view of the Space Race with just a twist of science-fiction. Because it's also about loss, family, and miracles. And this time I have the whole book outlined, which is a first for me.

I'd heard a lot about working on your next project to bide your time when querying (and subbing), and there is definitely truth to that. Now off to check my emails! Which I only do once a day. (Okay, I lied. I might check more than once.)

5 comments:

  1. Don't get discouraged! It takes time and querying can be super tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have the right idea. It's hard to balance querying one book with writing another - like dividing your passions - but it's important just so you don't go crazy. And if you get that phone call with an agent, the inevitable question will be, "What else are you working on?" And having something you love in the works is just a great big cherry on top.

    Congrats on getting to this stage!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a GREAT plan! I think a lot of people fail to set querying goals, so as soon as they start getting rejections they give up. But if you decide you'll query a set number of agents, then you don't have an excuse to give up! Oh, and I agree -- writing the next book while the first one is out is SO helpful. Not only does it give you something new to focus on, but by the time this one pans out -- or doesn't -- you'll have something else ready to sub. No wasting time waiting for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new book sounds amazing, and it looks like you're doing things just right. Querying is a great milestone, but you're right-- not much fun. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck to you with the querying! It IS a milestone. And you're so right, it's not as fun as it sounds.

    BUT, it's also not as horrible as it seems. Sounds like you've got everything under control though. Crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete