Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Son and the Tooth Fairy's Rough Beginnings

Yesterday my son got into the car after school with a new tooth necklace, compliments of the school nurse, containing yet another blood-encrusted tooth. He now is missing his four front teeth, and this only weeks before we plan to take family photos. Apples are not an option anymore, and I think he's going to have to learn to gum his food like a ninety year-old man. But the main repercussion is that my son, on his quest to become toothless, has formed a somewhat tumultuous relationship with the tooth fairy.

This began innocently enough. In October, his great-grandma sent her usual holiday card with two one dollar bills - one for my son and one for his little sister. As dollar bills go in our house, they floated around the kitchen for a couple months, somehow the dollar bill deemed his sister's ended up crumpled, and they were almost forgotten.

Then the day came we placed his first tooth under a pillow. I told him about the tooth fairy - spinning the same story my parents spun for me about her building a castle of teeth - and wondering when this Santa, Easter Bunny, tooth fairy business is going to end because I feel like I'm lying to my son. (And by the way, Mom and Dad, a castle out of teeth is kind of gross, but I'll carry on the tradition...) Conveniently I...that is, The Tooth Fairy found a dollar bill floating around our kitchen to exchange with the tooth under his pillow.

To make an already long story less long, in the morning my son told me that he had ripped up the note and dollar bill because it was his sister's crumpled dollar bill from his grandma that the tooth fairy left. Oops. I knew my son was observant to detail, but even that exceeded my expectations. All that Scottish-Irish-Peruvian-German blood inside of him can really boil when provoked. And I think part of him was figuring out this tooth fairy thing might not be real.


(I kept the money and note in a plastic baggie to show him one day...or to tape back together when times get rough.) Instead of letting him continue to question the existence of a little person with wings that builds castles of everybody's yellowing teeth, I told him sternly that the tooth fairy was going to have to wait a couple teeth before she gives him more money. Oh and that ripping up money is against the law so don't do it again.

He stopped being angry, decided to give the tooth fairy another chance, and so after skipping a tooth or two, she brought him this....


So far, no money has been crushed, torn, or otherwise destroyed. In fact, the tooth fairy, in a gesture of forgiveness, brought my son his first dollar bill last night since The Incident.

I like to come away from any story with some kind of moral or insight. Lying to your child about mythical beings only creates more problems? Use only the special tooth fairy glitter money posted all over Pinterest lest your child isn't easily fooled? No, I got it. Enjoy your children. Teach them when they make mistakes. Then laugh about it and write a blog post later.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you are the toughest tooth fairy!!!! I didn't know about the tooth castle. That is gross. I'm laughing.

    All I have to say is, you are the most organized, fit mom ever and your son takes after his father - the Peruvian, Danish, English.

    I didn't know you had a blog. You have such perfect material too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie, MAD are my initials you can guess my last name is the same as grandma Ruth's maiden name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I would have figured out it was you by your first comment, but I'm glad you aren't really "mad."

      Delete
  3. That is hilarious!! I'm impressed by your son's powers of observation and a bit horrified by his tearing up of a dollar, no matter whose it was! :)

    The letter from the tooth fairy, though... that really takes the cake!!

    We told my middle daughter about Santa this year (she is almost 13... it was time...) and the last tooth she lost she refuses to put under her pillow. I told her she should, if nothing more than to get a buck but maybe more importantly to keep the magic for her sister. She shrugged and said, "Why? Can't you just give me the dollar? You sort of popped my bubble of belief." Ah, teens... (And no, we didn't give her the dollar. Only the tooth fairy can do that, and she won't drop by our house until the tooth is in the proper place under the pillow. Our tooth fairy is a bit tough too. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well he has a tendency to rip things up when he's angry, but usually it's a picture he's drawing and he's mad it doesn't look right. I love that you are making your daughter play along. Maybe you should raise the stakes, make it five dollars, and she has to tell her sister how much she loves the tooth fairy. I believed in Santa until I was eleven, and I read the truth about him in a book:)

      Delete
  4. bwahahahaha...this made my day. (and two of my kids have thrown up on me today so i really needed a good chuckle.) LOVE the note! long live the tooth fairy and all of the important life lessons learned :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think there are life lessons learned every day. I just have to think really hard to figure out what they are. Like being vomited on twice in one day. I'm sure there is an important life lesson there.

      Delete
  5. Kids are amazing. I'm glad you kept it to show him one day. I could never really do the tooth fairy thing. They still got me and said it was from the tooth fairy, but they always knew it was from me. But like I always say, if you don't believe you don't get anything. Goes for Santa as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your kids are all very pragmatic, Patti. I think my son is going to figure it out in a couple of years, and I'll be kind of relieved when he does.

      Delete
  6. Ba ha ha! Wow, that is one observant kid. Definitely a story to tell to future girlfriends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessie, that is so awesome! I love amazing kid stories, and I love that you saved it in a baggie for him. I forsee much laughter in the very far future :)

    ReplyDelete