Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The World Didn't End. Now What?

First things first. A new blog look of course. And since I tired of the bird template, I'll try weeds. The blowy, fluffy, whimsical kind of weeds that make wishes come true.

How was your New Year? We celebrated 45 minutes early because we thought it would be a good idea to let our six year-old stay up until midnight. That, we found, is the opposite of a good idea. So New Years came a little bit early. We celebrated it by throwing confetti (ripped up ledger pad paper) and toasting to new beginnings (diet coke in glasses). My son's near-midnight toast was loaded with his favorite words of the solid waste variety followed by hysterical laughter.

Looking back at the old year I managed a lot between moving and having a baby and not-but-almost-finishing my book, but I'm excited for what I can accomplish in this new year because there won't be a move and there won't be a new baby. (BUT, there WILL be a book in its finished form. I'm very close.)

But most of all I'm just glad 2013 is here at all. I have to admit that having written a book about the Mayan end-of-the-world prophecy, I was a little on edge. However, I was thinking more about my kids not crashing into trees on a snow-covered hill in Kansas on the 21st rather than the apocalypse. So given this renewed (tangent: my son used the word "renew" today in an appropriate context, I was so proud) chance on living in this world, I am looking forward to a better me which includes yoga and scriptures and more blog posts but most of all me being a better mother and wife. What are your hopes for the new year?

5 comments:

  1. I think I might have to update my blog look now. I think it's time for new beginnings. My hopes are to finish editing one book and finish writing another and maybe find some courage to query the first one. Love your new picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of goals for the new year, but mostly to be more appreciative of the small blessings that come my way. And of course, to write a lot!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your new look! Good luck with your book this year! I'm revising mine and hopefully querying it in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading more blogs... like yours! I'm looking forward to being part of the world again, and connecting with friends I've ignored while in my MFA cave. Also, I'd like to write a book. And maybe submit some short stories. A girl can dream, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't really celebrate the new year much, either-- we were all sick, and moving too. But I'm loving 2013 so far! New house, closer to some writing goals, and a chance to keep working at getting better in all ways. Hope you're having a good year so far!

    ReplyDelete