Wednesday, February 1, 2012

When the Villain Monologues

I realize January is over and that was my latest finish-my-book deadline. However, I am down to the last few chapters. Writing comes in tides and waves. On Sunday night I wrote for three hours straight. It was the longest I think I've ever written at one time without getting up. Not once. And I'm pregnant! Now that I think of it, I'm not sure how I never got up once to use the bathroom. The only explanation is that writing and my kidneys have a direct relationship with one other. So, Sunday night I wrote over 3,000 words and I thought "Surely, I will finish this book by the end of this month!" (However, I didn't really think the word 'surely.' And there was no exclaiming in my head.)

But the last few days I've been working on the villain-captures-the-heroine-then-meets-his-demise-scene. It's been rough. And now that I'm finished, I see that it needs to be completely rewritten and is already littered with notes for change. (But that can wait until later.) However, I resorted to the whole villain-tells-his-evil-schemes-to-heroine-so-that-reader-can-know-how-he-managed-to-get-this-far device. Remember the scene in The Incredibles when Syndrome starts telling Mr. Incredible about his evil plot, then says, "You got me monologuing! I can't believe it!"

Well, I have my villain monologuing, and I need another device.

1 comment:

  1. I totally thought of the Incredibles when I read your post. I have a bit of monologuing in my book. It's hard to avoid. I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

    ReplyDelete