Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Just a Blog Post

To those interested in waking up an hour early with me the third week of November to write...I did finally figure out the whole linky list thing. So go here to sign up!

Nano is here! I've never played, and I just watch in amazement as those around me crunch out so many words in so short of time. Now, I DID do NaGroBaMo (National Grow a Baby Month) a couple years ago when I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter. But nobody else wanted to play. (Hmmm, poor sports. I mean, you just had to be PREGNANT at the time. Was that too much to ask?) As the only competitor, I came in first. Which I'm very proud of.

Now, where is the best place to hide all that Halloween candy from last night? Above the fridge? Under the bed? Has anybody ever successfully written 50,000 words in 30 days right around a major holiday?

Well then, you're amazing.

Now my pirate book: it's about 10 year-old Bonnie with her cruise ship captain daddy and her successful and not so successful attempts at convincing everyone that the ship's "guitarist" Henry Weston is actually a pirate after the ship's jewel exhibition (who may also be falling in love with her nanny and BFF, Aunt Mel, but that has nothing to do with the fact that she thinks he's a pirate because he wears a bandana and dreadlocks and limps for pirates sakes).

She is cruising the Baltic Sea in this book (which not coincidentally is the same trip I took a few years ago). Now, when she stopped in Denmark, the writing was just...okay. Rocky and smooth at times. But when she stopped in Germany my muse was happy, and words came with little effort. However, writing her last stop in Estonia was like building a stone wall with my teeth. But now she is out of Estonia and on her way to Russia. But I must say that the most difficult scenes to write are sometimes my favorite.

If I can get her through the rest of the Baltic in November while everyone else is NaNo-ing, I'll be happy.

3 comments:

  1. Just have to say, your book sounds awesome. For realz. Keepwritingkeepwritingkeepwriting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you on the most difficult ones being your favourites. I'm sure your character come around, like Renee said: just keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done NaNo either. :) But written in 30 days or not, your book sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete