Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The End of the World Might Look Like This

The other day I decided to stop by a Borders. I figured I'd be at the tail-end of their going-out-of-business sale, and that I'd find quality books for 90 percent off. (Okay, that's me being sarcastic because we know the good ones get picked over early on, but still...they're books!)

However, I'd come too late. The parking lot was empty. The signs were down. The bookshelves were empty. I half-expected to see tumbleweed blow by. I was sad, not because I couldn't get my cheap books...but because no one was left. Once, people read there and bought the written word and felt it in their hands there. And that's all going away, leaving places like this Borders abandoned and forsaken.

I know, a little melodramatic. I mean, I want an e-reader. I'm excited about the possibilities of carrying a whole library in my purse. (If only I can digitize the diapers and wipes.) But for a moment I saw the post-apocalypse of the book world.



Um, now that I got that out...hello, $79 Kindle! Or Kindle Fire? I'm so fickle.

6 comments:

  1. I love my Kindle. It's the perfect size and I'm not much of an app person. But if you're looking for more than just an e-reader, then the Fire is something too look at. What a great price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! So sad. I am picturing that little tumbleweed in my mind.

    I don't think I can go to the dark side of the e-reader yet.

    Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have Borders nearby so I haven't felt the pain the rest of you are going through, but if B&N closed, I'd feel the same way. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Borders up here in Canada, so I haven't seen that yet, but I think it would totally sadden me even though, like you, I'm looking more seriously at the e-readers. My husbands trying to convince me to do an ipad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mim-I think the Kindle Fire is all sparkles to me, but a Kindle would probably be enough. And $79?! Who can beat that?

    Storyqueen-It is kind of like going to the dark side, isn't it? Well, I'll probably be there before you. I'll save you a seat.

    Jessica-Fortunately, we have Borders AND B&N. If B&N goes under, it really is the end of the world.

    Patti-My husband wants to get one for Christmas. We shall see...

    Candice-I guess you'll be forced to join the dark side of e-readers with me and Shelley:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true!! Nothing sadder than an empty bookstore. At least yours had bookshelves. Ours even sold the shelves. Now it's just an empty warehouse looking place.

    *wiping at tears*

    Now where am I going to browse for books I want to download??

    ReplyDelete