Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Other Jessie

No, this is not a post about the many sides of myself. This is, in fact, about The Other Jessie.

Many years ago (or eight, but I'm not counting) while in college, I lived next door to two funny sisters: Sarah and Jessie. I'd go over to their place whenever I wanted to laugh which may have also been every day. We had fun. We made jokes. We talked about cute boys. I ate their food.

However, we all married (and had our bridal showers within just months of each other), life happened, and we lost touch until we found each other again on Facebook. (Well, I lost touch with them and they with me, but being sisters, I think they managed not to lose touch with each other.)

When I announced my BIG MOVE on Facebook, Jessie wrote..."You know that's where I live, right?" This was very good news for me because I had a new-old friend in a strange city, and happily our children were the same ages.

Before we got together for the first time, I thought, "Jessie is so funny and so smart. She should write. I'm going to tell her that." I never did get to tell her that. When we met and marvelled that we are still both Jessie and caught up on the last seven years, I found out that she got her Masters Degree-in Creative Writing.

Not only that, but she is also writing a Young Adult novel.

Amazing coincidence? Now we meet every week, and while our children scream (and sometimes my son melts down), we read each other's pages. And Jessie (he-hem, the Other Jessie) is very good at making my book better. Lately I've been writing more because there is something about having the pressure of giving pages to a real person by next Tuesday.

Here is The Other Jessie. You should meet her.

6 comments:

  1. It's always great to have a real live person encouraging you. It's easier to avoid someone's emails as opposed to someone's outstretched arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I can't tell you how helpful it was having Kasie live a few blocks away when we first started writing. We too let our kids play and read each other's stuff every wk. Now we live many states away. *sniff* *sob* Excuse me while I go cry in my Cheerios...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome story! Wow. I would LOVE to have a writerly friend nearby. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funny because the same thing happened to me! I think there's similar qualities that draw people together but we don't realize it at first.
    Two friends I had in high school, one a really close one, are writers now. I just found them on facebook. We'd never talked about writing (that I remember) in high school, so I thought it was particularly funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WooHoo!! I LOVE this post!! I love that you have a friend nearby - that she writes - that you are writing more because of her.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so awesome! :)I love having writers nearby to chat with and to hold me accountable. Congrats to both Jessies!

    ReplyDelete