Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Pretty Pirate Pickle

A new middle-grade idea. 6500 words in 4 nights (but not 4 nights in a row because I'm not that awesome). First drafting always gives me a little bit of a high because who cares about mistakes?

Okay, so I needed another break from that book. This idea has been sitting with me for awhile, and it suddenly exploded. It's been fun, though, because I'm writing in the voice of a ten year-old which is much different than writing as sixteen year-old Tess. It's also a challenge because I think at any given point I sound like I'm eight instead of ten. Or thirty instead of ten.

But I love it. However, what am I thinking writing middle-grade? I write YA, YA I tell you!

Anyway, I give you the first paragraph of A Pretty Pirate Pickle (the first paragraph for now) (because we all know how much that beginning changes)...

I have one of the best jobs on the cruise ship—every morning at sunrise I stand starboard and check for icebergs. I know the damage these killer popsicles can cause because I read about the R.M.S. Titanic last year. It’s not that I’m afraid of drowning—because I’m not. I’ve run the emergency drills since I was four. I know exactly which deck to meet at and seven ways to get there. I even know which seat is mine on the lifeboat. No, it’s just that I’ve also read that the Captain goes down with the ship, and I don’t want to lose my daddy.

5 comments:

  1. I love it!! Calling an iceberg a killer popsicle made me laugh. :)

    I'm all about going with the idea that's burning to be written. Just go for it! I can totally see you writing a fantastic, funny middle grade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. It's a fun start. Go with it. New ideas always recharge me for going back to the old idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love it! And I love middle grade. I have a middle grade book that I dabble in for fun every now and again. So embrace your inner 10 year old and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! I started a MG novel two years ago with a protagonist that lived on a cruise ship!! Of course, I couldn't do it.. because I'm old and boring and don't write MG. But I love yours, and I hope you finish it so I can live vicariously through you! :)

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New ideas are always so fun! I find that a new idea will even help me feel inspired to revise or finish old manuscripts. The excitement is just that contagious!

    ReplyDelete