Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Good-bye 2010, Hello Texas

I've been absent from blogging for a ridiculously long time, but other than the holidays I've been busy with the news that we are moving to Texas in February. Our recent Christmas mecca down south was spent hunting for a place to live rather than actual vacationing. So, I have one little month to pack up my life in boxes. It's kind of overwhelming.

I am excited...but also sad. When I walked into my house after two days in the car with small children, the sweet relief of being home was tempered by the fact that it would only be mine for thirty more days. And Kansas... Who would think anyone would be nostalgic for Kansas of all places? But I grew up here. My family is here and so are my roots. I mean, there are graveyards in Kansas with my ancestors. Kansas is a part of me.

And Texas is a part of my husband. But we aren't moving because Texas constitutes one-third of my husband's blood. (I constitute another third, while the final third is a mixture of basketball and actual blood.) We are moving because of my husband's job. (Yes, I failed to produce that NYT bestseller I set out to write two years ago. Dang it. It could have really come in handy in pleading the case for Kansas.)

So while I'm determined not to be gone for another three weeks (I missed you guys, really), I may be more sporadic than usual. Then again, blogging may be one of my few links to sanity when everything else around me falls apart (and then is neatly packed away and labeled)(until I get to the eleventh hour in which things will just be hurled into whichever box is closest).

9 comments:

  1. Oh joy. Moving is so much fun. :) Good luck with that. Texas is lucky to have you, but what a big change. My friend just moved to Texas, maybe you'll run into her in that tiny state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought Texas would be a great state to live in. Never been there, but some day...

    Good luck on the move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO how I pack. Good luck with your move. Every time we move, I want to burn everything and start over. But maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it silly that I'm sad you're moving from Kansas, too? But I wish you the best of luck in Texas! My friends there all rave about it. (But maybe that's because they want me to move there.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! I hate moving. Good luck with it, though, Jessie. I hope you fall in love with Texas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really really sad that you're leaving Kansas. Now we won't get a chance to meet, unless you can squeeze in some time in the next month. But all the best luck in Texas. Good luck with the move, it can be a hastle, but it's also a good way to make a fresh start. I know you'll still be around the blogg-o-sphere, but it was good to know you were close by, even if we never met.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!! I've been there. Still am there actually - moving away from family and friends to a brand new place. I can't believe it's been a year and half. I'm sure everything is a little crazy for you right now. But I'm sure a great adventure lies ahead! My husband will be jealous. He is a lifelong Cowboys fan. It's in his blood - probably two thirds - at least. haha! Thinking of you and wishing you guys a smooth transition. Texas will be lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was JUST telling someone tonight what a great place Texas was and how much I loved living there!

    Wow. A move is a big thing. 30 days is hardly enough to pack up and say goodbye to a place you love. The good thing is you still have ties there, so you can go back. It's not a forever goodbye.

    Maybe you'll meet Babs down there. :) Where are you moving exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogger ate my comment, which was highly entertaining and only very rude and sarcastic! grrrr... Now I'll just have to settle with saying Good luck!

    ReplyDelete