Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Yes, Virginia

I try not to confuse my child too much. However, he asks questions like, "How do the witches in Shrek fly?" and I tell him, "Magic, but don't worry there is no such thing as witches or magic." Then he asks how Santa Clause flies and I say, "Magic." That might be very confusing to a four year-old brain.

I'd really like to keep this Santa Clause thing going for as long as possible. I explained to my son that there is good and happy magic...Christmas magic, and then there is scary magic. There is no such thing as scary magic. There is such thing as Christmas magic.

(I did give him a very practical answer when he asked how Santa Clause puts out fires when he goes down the chimney, and how he turns the fire back on. In case you want to know, Santa pours water down the chimney when he arrives, and throws a match down the chimney when he leaves. He doesn't even need magic, just a lot of matches.)

I believed in Santa Clause until I was about ten or eleven. My family was driving home from my grandparents' house, and all my siblings were sleeping except for me. I, of course, was reading. Yes, it was a book that thrust the truth upon me whether I wanted to know or not. (I can't remember which book it was now, but I'm sure it was evil and wanted to shatter all the dreams of ten and eleven year-old girls.) I turned to my mom and asked her the question, and she confirmed that they had been making up stories about the fat man in the red suit. (I think the truth about the Easter Bunny came soon after that.)

So how did you find out the truth about Santa Clause??

12 comments:

  1. You were TEN? Dude, that's kind of awesome you kept the magic alive that long.

    I think I knew by five. I think I've always been a natural skeptic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in third grade (8 or 9) and I heard the rumors...I asked my mom, hoping she'd deny it, but she fessed up. Such a sad day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I was a skeptic too. I used to play along because it was fun, but I didn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very young. Just like your story, my parents told me that ghosts and monsters didn't exist. That God was the only one with "powers," so there was nothing to be afraid of.

    Well, my young mind put together that therefore *no* magic existed. And thus, Santa didn't exist. I don't remember ever really believing, so this must have been when I was five or six. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember but it was because I accidentally found a present that made it into my stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I walked in on my parents setting up the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in grade four and I was in the basement with my brother and my parents said, "Stay downstairs, we're filling the stockings now."

    I've always been a little traumatized by that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was eight and my friends were all giving me heck about still believing. (I was the oldest, and most of my friends had older sibs). My parents assured me that Santa was real, but I was still suspicious. Then on X-mas Eve my Uncle was visiting and he and my Dad were in the basement putting together something from Santa. They were cussing and screaming at each other something aweful (so embarrassing, I know, but what can you do?) I went down to see what was going on. On Christmas morning that same item was under the tree with "From Santa" in my mothers handwriting. It confirmed my suspicions. But my parents told me that if I told my sisters I wouldn't get any presents. So I kept it to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What?!? You mean to tell me neither you nor your parents don't know the REAL truth on this?? I guess I'll just have to step in and explain it a little.

    Finding out about Santa is special at my house. See, it's not that he isn't real, because he is... but you get to pass on the fun to others. See, it sounds like this at my house. "You know, I've been thinking about sharing something with you, because it's really special and I think you are ready to be part of it. You see, (tell the story of St. Nicholas) and so many people loved him so much because he loved little children just like Jesus Christ does, that they wanted to remember him forever, so each person, when they are old enough, they get to become Santa, {just like me and (whomever else?) Now you get to help us watch for other people who are being especially nice so they can be on the nice list, or whatever it is you decide before hand.... } It was a great transition = ) Or something like that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um...I never believed in Santa. Sad, I know. As children, we were told to leave Pepsi and cookies out for Santa. Pepsi? Santa never drinks Pepsi in the movies. He drinks milk. Always milk. Sigh. My dad's lactose intolerant. So...it didn't take me long to put two and two together... :) For a long time after, though, I still listened for sleigh bells...you know, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't remember exactly when. I'm sure it was an older sibling that told me. (I'm the youngest.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait, what truth are you talking about? That Santa doesn't give coal? I've known the coal thing was a myth for years . . . he just doesn't give presents to bad kids. Saves a lot of time! :)

    ReplyDelete