Wednesday, December 1, 2010

When Our Christmas Tree Said, "Bah Humbug"


The day after Thanksgiving, we put up our Christmas decorations. (No Black Friday for me, thank you very much.) After I put up our 6 ft tree that I purchased six years ago from Walmart for $15, my husband told me we needed a new tree because our current tree was horrible. (We had the same conversation last year.)

I told him a new tree was expensive and proceeded to decorate it with our son. (But not WITH our son. I didn't hang him up on the Christmas tree...in case you were wondering.) I noticed it sort of LEANED after I decorated it. And my son placing many heavy ornaments in one spot may have contributed to the LEANING.

A few hours later, I heard something fall in the living room. One of the cheap plastic legs supporting the tree had broken, and the tree had fallen...luckily NOT onto our children. I thought I could save it with books, yes books, but as I went to prop it up, another cheap plastic leg broke. Then the top fell off the tree. In the end we had this heap of Christmas, still bedecked in white glowing lights, on our living room floor.

And in the end, we found a five year-old 7 ft pre-lit for sale for $15.

A great start to Christmas...not being sarcastic. I love my new-old Christmas tree, which we wouldn't have found had the last one not broken. (Writing analogy? Oh yes, I think it is there.)

(As a follow-up to last week's blog post, I DID at one point during high school try out the toothpaste remedy. Luckily, I had only one pimple which I treated with a younger sibling's bright blue cartoon-endorsed tooth gel. I had a blue spot on my face the next morning that would not come off. My mom let me stay home. (She was a cool mom.) (And I got good grades.))

9 comments:

  1. I love the image of a "heap of Christmas"! Very funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! LOL Poor tree. I buy real ones every year, albeit small cheap ones, and they always seem to lean. I haven't quite mastered the art of putting up a tree, I guess, but I love my trees!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh noooooooooo!

    (I, too, have a walmart prelit christmas tree, but mine is white with colored lights)

    I am going right not to make sure the plastic legs are reinforced!

    (I put mine up on Friday, too!)

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little tree. :( I think we're going to get a real one this year. Yay!

    And too funny about the blue spot . . . I tried that too, but I think we had white or something. No blue spots, and no skipped school (though I'm certain my mom would have made me go, good grades and all!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could have just started a new tradition. From the pic it looks like a chistmas shrub.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy took my answer about the Christmas shrub. I should have been here quicker. All well.

    My mom would have let me stay home too, and I would let my kid stay home if that happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good thing you have such a cheery disposition and great sense of humor! :)

    I can't believe books didn't solve the problem. Books are suppose to solve ALL problems!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jessie! So fun to find you on the web!! I don't know if you even remember me, but I was in the BYU 61st ward with you (Lisa Rura, now Lisa Davis). I saw you wrote a comment on Aprilynne Pike's blog, whom I don't know personally, but I follow her because I too am (trying to be) an aspiring author! That's so cool that you are, too. Let's support each other, okay? Sounds good to me! If you are on Facebook, look me up. If not, I am sure I'll keep stalking your blog. Good to see your cyber face!

    P.S. Have you heard of ANWA? If not, you should join, you'd love it! It's a support group for LDS women writers. I have learned so much, made great friends, and never felt so motivated to write! http://www.anwa-lds.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha - Our fake tree died a couple of years ago too. I taped the thing, tied ribbon around the base - anything to keep that thing up. But it was no use. :P Glad you found a good deal on a replacement!

    ReplyDelete