Monday, September 6, 2010

Ambition

My crit partner, Patti, recently posted a list of goals for Fall. And so, I'm going to copy her and post her goals...I mean, my goals.

1) FINISH MY BOOK. Actually, I've been very happy with my progress lately. I just finished rewriting a couple of chapters, and I feel like I'm ready to move forward again in drafting (second drafting).

2) RIDE MY NEW OLD BIKE. I recently bought a bike at a garage sale, and I'm determined to ride it every Saturday morning. Freedom AND exercise. I started this past Saturday. It's been years since I've been on a bike, and I'm happy to report I did not fall off once.

3) READ TO MY SON DURING THE DAY. I read to him every night, but I want to read to him during the day. At night, when we read, I feel a little rushed. I'm trying to get him to bed then, so I don't linger over every page like he wants to. We started reading during the day, and he loves it.

4) LEARN HOW TO POACH AN EGG.

10 comments:

  1. Great goals, especially the one about poaching an egg. I have no idea how to do that either.

    And I totally agree with reading during the day, because once that bedtime hour hits, my patience is at a low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how to poach an egg either. Good luck with your goals! I need to make a goal to go to bed earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great goals! It's encouraging to hear the adage about riding a bike is true. Mine got stolen over 10 years ago and I really ought to replace it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So don't read Julie and Julia or you'll swear off eggs altogether. Just a little free advice. :)

    Those a great goals. And very do-able.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know there's a little plastic thingy you put in the microwave to poach eggs? I KNOW! This modern age is truly a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent goals. I love it that your son wants you to linger over pages of a book. That's got to be a great kid. You know what they say about poaching eggs, once you learn how, you never forget. No maybe that's bike riding... Oh well, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never poached an egg either. I can hardly even fry one. Scrambled? I can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patti-Bedtime is such a long process at our house, by the time he gets his bath, bedtime snack, ONE MORE MINUTE of playtime (his idea, not mine), and teeth brushed-we read books to get through them, not because we love them.

    Myrna-That would be my goal too if I actually thought it was a possibility for me. But if I want to finish my novel this Fall, it's not a possibility for me.

    Shelley-I'll be sure to let you know, and by Christmas time we will all be expert poachers. Of eggs, not live things.

    Laurel-Yours got stolen? About ten years ago, before I was married, I sold mine so I could buy an airplane ticket to see a boyfriend. Not loving that decision right now.

    Heidi-I know what scene you are talking about, but we both know how I feel about Julie so she won't frighten me off.

    Renee-But shortcuts would be cheating. Just like I choose to use a knife instead of a food processor-I want to learn to chop like the pros.

    Melissa-Ha! I'm sure it works for both. Yes, he's a great kid. He's learning now how to enjoy books on his own, too, which is huge.

    Kelli-Have you ever managed to burn a boiled egg? I have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eggs freak me out. So delicate, yet so tough in all they do. Oh, eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great set of goals. I love the last one. I think I need to add that to my list.

    ReplyDelete