Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Picture Book

My son loves stories. Usually my stories are just made-up, strung-along, nonsense stories, but it is one of his favorite things.

Sometimes he'll jump in and finish. Unfortunately, they aren't always happy endings for me. The other day he turned me into a tree and flew all over the world by himself.

Every once in awhile I'll think, "That idea isn't so ridiculous." So I'll write it down. Then I will think, "Yes, that idea is so ridiculous."

However, the other day I wrote down one of our stories. And it worked. When I called my sister and said, "Listen to my book" (and she groaned and I said, "No, not that book-my 293-word book"), she laughed at almost all my words. Maybe I'll write another.

And another.

(Don't worry, Tess of Pieces. You are my first love.)

7 comments:

  1. A second calling, perhaps? Actually, I can totally see you writing witty, delightful picture books.

    I'm thinking your next project should be writing a query letter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a definite keeper. All it needs is pictures to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great idea to write picture books while also writing MG or YA. I have a couple of picture books that I've finished myself. It's quite a unique art, and I need to read a lot more about it before I try to get anything published, but it's great fun.

    If only I could draw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love doing picture books! They are very refreshing after struggling for how long (?) with a novel.

    Can't wait to read yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun time with your son. And quite productive I might add. You may have hit on something brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picture books are hard to get just right. Good luck with yours. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you have found your new niche? :)

    Kids are such great inspiration! Mine have come up with some awesome ideas. I tried once or twice to get them into story format, but I'm just not good at kids' books. I so wish I could!

    ReplyDelete