Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Regarding Pieces

Good news: I think I finally discovered my MC's voice!

Bad news: I think I finally discovered my MC's voice. So, all that I've written so far needs some serious revision.

As I read over my book (my unfinished book), I feel like my writing is...nice. That's all. It's also stilted and drab and dry. I was trying so hard to write pretty that Tess came out sounding NOT like herself.

I've spent four hours the last couple of days revising a chapter and a half. And I think I fixed it, but that's it. Did I say my book would be done this fall?

I also have a couple of major scene revisions I'm working on. I want to move forward, but I feel like I can't right now. I don't want my new scenes to sit on scenes I know now are going to change significantly.

Also, I feel like fixing a particular section will help me understand my boy better. He confuses me, and I want to be unconfused.

How are your books going? Do you feel like you have to "fix" things sometimes before moving on?

4 comments:

  1. I definitely have to fix things throughout - especially since the novel ALWAYS grows so much by the end that the beginning scenes just don't spark as they should. Remember, don't rush your process, and don't worry if you finish after this fall. No point in sending out a story that's not in its best form (something I have to remind myself of over and over again, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm currently on revision number 48, I've changed my MC POV several times. But my MC's voice has stayed pretty consistent. But that's what makes revision so fun. You get to keep creating and refining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm revising now, and absolutely! If I find one major thing, I have to go back and change that before moving on. Which means my first five chapters are REALLY good and the last ones haven't been touched yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the biggest thing I struggle with. Do I go back or do I move on? I never really know the answer. Usually I just guess, and if it feels really crappy and just wrong then I head in the opposite direction for a while.

    ReplyDelete