Monday, August 23, 2010

Read Harry Potter Like Nobody's Watching

My husband and I met at a youth conference (called EFY for those who may know) in Texas. No, we were not youth, although that would have been very romantic. He was a counselor. I was the nurse. (Still romantic, right?)

Well, during the first week we mostly said a few words here and there, like "Hey, flirty flirty flirt flirt!" or "Flirt! Words are only coming out of my mouth so that I can flirt!" However, at the end of that first week we finally did TALK...over Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. (Outside of the blogosphere this may be considered nerd-territory, but for the record: we are both very hip except when we're not.)

We were at one of the youth dances, chaperoning and saving lives. I was passing through the foyer outside the dance hall (it was really a university gym, but I'm telling my love story and 'dance hall' sounds much better) when I saw my husband-to-be (no those words did not go through my head...yet) lounging under the stairwell. He was reading the aforementioned HP novel. I think I said something really smart like, "Why aren't you dancing?" followed by a conversation about his reading choice.

A handsome young man secreted under the stairwell reading Harry Potter! How could I resist? Plus, he was reading a book I'd read and enjoyed. Had he chosen to dance that night, maybe things would have ended differently. I'm just glad he chose a book.

10 comments:

  1. That is the cutest story ever. I love it. Boys reading books are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story. Ben and I read a lot of the same books too, but alas, we do not have any stairs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, bonding over Harry Potter. Who hasn't? :)

    P.S. I totally laughed out loud at: "Hey, flirty flirty flirt flirt!" or "Flirt! Words are only coming out of my mouth so that I can flirt!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post put a huge smile on my face. So cute!!

    I think I'd melt on the spot if I saw a guy reading ANYTHING under a stairwell. Lucky girl, you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband just wanted to point out the irony of reading Harry Potter UNDER THE STAIRWELL. Maybe I just should have sent him a letter, addressed to Cute Counselor, Space Under the Stairwell, Texas. Okay, maybe I'm mostly a nerd and only hip sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi miss jessie! thats a really nice story. it was a cool way for some one that likes to write to meet. i bet you went dancing after you got married. :)
    ...smiles from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool way to meet your husband.

    ReplyDelete