Monday, June 21, 2010

Strong Flavors

Writing is a lot like cooking. I write with specific ingredients that need to be mixed and diced just right so my story tastes good.

But sometimes as I write, BIG ideas will creep into my mind, ideas that reek of Garlic or Onion. And I feel I must decide NOW whether to add these ingredients or not.

Because although I can revise (unlike cooks), these BIG ideas, once added, flavor the entire manuscript. I know that if I change my mind, I don't have to throw the ruined dish away and start all over. However, if the idea is Lemon or Tarragon or Salt, it will take a lot of work to undo.

Do you have trouble revising out BIG ideas?

(Two more days to enter mine and Janet's 101 Followers Contest!)

5 comments:

  1. Interesting analogy! Yep, I have trouble with those strong flavors. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm allergic to onions. Ha ha ha. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally been there. Those strong flavors generally stay for me, because, well, I'm lazy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi miss jessie! when i get a big idea and i get lots of them cause i write mostly fantasy stuff i wait a little and then i break them up into more small parts and toss out the ones that dont do anything much for my story and keep the ones that do. its like taking the brown wilty stuff off lettuce and tossing it out and saving the real crisp green stuff thats good to eat. ...hugs from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only problem with adding such a strong flavor is that it takes a lot of work to get it out if it doesn't work, great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Revising out? Nope, never done it. Guess I like my garlic. LOL

    ReplyDelete