Saturday, May 8, 2010

Being Mom



Feet padding across the floor
"Get up, Mom."
Is the sun up yet?
The morning pauses
Two bowls of cereal
His gummy vitamin
"Play with me."

Squeals from her crib
"Baby's awake!"
Feet padding to the nursery
Happy noises
She smiles
Her small body can't hold
All her joy

They teach me
How to love

All of those morning moments
The time you spent with me
The smiles we shared
The joy we felt

You taught me how
To be a mom


The little girl on the tricycle is my mom in Spain almost fifty years ago. (My grandfather was in the military, and the first home my mother remembers is a great rambling mansion run by servants. Very romantic. Now all that is left of that beautiful house -and we can actually see it on Google Earth- are stone ruins. The roof is gone. Trees are actually growing out of her brother's bedroom.)

8 comments:

  1. I love the postscript. So interesting. Isn't Google Earth great? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad the house isn't around any more. Great poem and Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem.

    Great postscript, how the years change both us and the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, so sweet. I love reading mother's day poems. They always make me happy. Great pic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely. That's amazing about your mom's old home. I love Google Earth. It's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely poem! It is exactly how I feel...although I miss those padded feet and the crib.... They grow so fast. Mine get their own cereal now, and it's almost sad.

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What would we do without our moms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool picture and sweet poem too. That is wild you can see the house on Google Earth. wow.

    Hope you had a great Mom's Day!

    ReplyDelete