Thursday, February 4, 2010

And Along Came Giant!

When we tell my son a story, he never fails to pipe in with, "And along came Giant!" We've gathered quite the assortment of stories, and whether they make sense or not, they all have Giant in common.

I've decided this is the tactic I have been missing when my story comes to a standstill. How much more interesting my book would read with Giant! How interesting would all stories read if they only employed Giant:

Edward, your granite abs and sparkly epidermis are nothing to Giant. You think Jacob is competition?! Giant may not have lightning-quick reflexes, but he has Bella's heart from the moment he enrolls at Forks High. Bella no longer dreams of the day she will also have a scrawny corpse-like body (oops, New Moon Movie spoiler), but rather, the day she will also have legs the size of tree trunks.

The Capitol will rue the day that Giant came to play. District 14 surfaces, and they too must be Reaped. Of course Cinna is hard-pressed to find a costume in Giant's size. Nevertheless, together Katniss and Giant rule the Games, and instead of collecting their prize, Giant squashes the Capitol (leaving no room for a sequel).

What better spy than the very obscure Giant? He can pose as a mountain or a tall, mishapen, ungainly building. During his off-time, he acts as mascot to the Gallagher Girls learning 57 languages and 84 ways to kill a man with a paperclip. When Cammie meets a town boy and tells him her secret, Giant kills him, like the title actually implies.

Giant thinks he can rule the Unconsecrated, but one bite is still all it takes for one of his proportions to become infected. However, whilst trampling through the Forest of Hangnails and Snaggle Tooths, he flattens most of the undead, and the living are saved. Unfortunately, the Sisterhood is now free to come out from Wherever They Hide and proceeds to take over the world (leaving room for a sequel).

How can Giant improve your story? What do you write when you run out of fodder for blog-posts?

11 comments:

  1. Oh this is just awesome! My four year old has been sparking my imagination of late with his. Everything is about exploration and play. How much can we learn from them! I think I need to go add Giant into my WiP. Thanks for the fantastic and entertaining post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nisa-I agree we can learn a lot from our children- their imaginations aren't ruled by logic. The perfect reservoir for fantasy novels.

    Renee-Ha! A Giant Apocalypse. I think you have someting there, and definitely too much of a coincidence. I think giants might be the next big thing. I'll let you be the pioneer in giant fiction since you had the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I only got the first two references. The last two I'm not sure on so that must mean I haven't read them (I know, shocking). Which books are the last two playing off of?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kasie-Hmmm, I didn't mean for my post to be so cryptic, but if you haven't read Ally Carter or Carrie Ryan you are missing out. I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You (no, not really, it's the title) and Forest of Hands and Teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! I think this is a great idea, though. Sometimes, it takes stepping out of the planned story a bit just to get the creative juices flowing again.

    In the end, isn't the giant just a metaphor for a bigger conflict? Sigh. Something my new book needs a little more of.

    (psst: can't wait to read the review!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi-Yes, that's it. Just what I was going for. A METAPHOR. I'm so smart.

    Jenni-He is a genius. Seriously. I'm definitely not biased.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi-larious post. Sure to earn you at least another follower. Too bad you need two.

    I almost picked up the forest of hands and teeth at the book store the other day, but I was afraid it would be too scary. It got such awesome reviews, but it seems like the kind of thing that might give me nightmares. Can you do a quick book review?? Pretty please (even hear in the comments)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was not too scary. I am not a big zombie fan. I hate zombie movies because I think they are way to scary. But this book did not give me nightmares. It had a good love story, kind of a forlorn ending but hopeful...room for a sequel. Played a lot on family/friend dynamics. It's about the world hundreds of years AFTER the zombie apocolypse, so the people are sequestered in their own little villages and don't think there is really anyone else out there. Good enough?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read all those books except for Ally Carter's. I don't have a giant in mine, but a troll is pretty close.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patti-Yes, along came Troll.

    Lois-How would a giant resonate? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the minds of kids this age. My daughter just turned 6 and she has some whoppers :) I always tell her to write a story about it.

    ReplyDelete