Thursday, January 21, 2010

Win a Cowpie!

If that title didn't get you here, I don't know what else will. Today is my one year blog-versary, and after the tradition of many others I blog with I am running a contest to celebrate.

But FIRST, I get to talk about my year. It was a BIG year for me. I did three things this year I have never done in my life! And many of you were on the journey with me. I...(in the order of awesomeness)

1) HAD A BABY GIRL
2) WROTE A BOOK
3) VISITED EUROPE

(Yes, writing a book is less awesome than having a baby, but actually more awesome than visiting Europe.)

Okay, they are not all writing related, but they were big things and I had to share. As for other (writing) milestones for this year...(not in order of awesomeness)

I started my blog.
I met all of you!
I joined my critique group.
I went to my first writer's conference.

Okay, enough about me...now about this contest.

No random numbers for me. This is a contest purely dependent on my whims and opinions. As Untelling the Maya is about the end of the world, I have decided that is my theme for this contest. Everyone has an end-of-the-world novel somewhere deep inside of them.

I want you to write the last paragraph of your end-of-the-world novel, whether the world really does end and everyone with it or your characters end the victors or they are just barely hanging onto life, the only survivors. I'm running this contest until Sunday midnight.

The prize?

Well, what else does a girl from Kansas divvy out as prizes but cowpies? Since real cowpies don't mail well, I am going to have to settle for a fudge cowpie from Chips Chocolate Factory.



(Blogger only wants me to post huge cowpie pictures, but it is even bigger in real-life. Yum.)

Chips does not ship cowpies, real or fudge, over the ocean unless you live in the Federated States of Micronesia or Guam. Therefore, if you have the misfortune (yea right) of living in some exotic land far, far away...well, sorry.

Let the END of the END OF WORLD novel contest begin...

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to think about this. Yikes. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a bit more than a paragraph, but the second I read your blog it HIT me!!

    Barbie and Kenneth laid on their backs staring at the sky. The ash and smoke swirled above them in hues of russet and auburn. Barbie thought it looked like millions of rows of giant cow pies melted together by the heat of the sun they blocked out.

    Kenneth reached for her hand and interlaced his fingers between hers. “In a way it’s beautiful. Like a sky of molten chocolate.”

    “Yeah,” she said, “that’s just what I was thinking. Except just there,” she pointed to a particularly swirly section of sky, “that one reminds me of cow pies on my grandpa’s ranch right before the war broke out, and all the cows were killed. I used to love the way the smell of manure hung in the air and mixed with the scent of cut hay.”

    “It’s okay,” he said. “Let it all out. Talking about your feelings is the first step to healing.”

    She felt so lucky to have him. He was the only one she could talk to. Even if he hadn’t been the last man on earth she still would have chosen him as a confidant. She took a deep breath and continued.

    “Now that cows are extinct…” She let the implication hang between them.

    Kenneth gave her hand a squeeze. She knew he could hear the pain in her words. He felt it too, the loss of cows meant there would be no dairy for chocolate. The swirls in the sky would be the closest to cow pies or chocolate they ever came again.

    A tear rolled down Barbies face. Kenneth pulled her to him and pressed her head against his chest.

    “We’ll survive. We’ll adapt. We have each other. That’s all that matters.”

    He was right. She was strong. They lay listening to the absence of sound around them. There were no crickets chirping, no grass rustling, only the wind. Then something broke the silence.

    “Do you hear that?” Kenneth sat up so fast Barbie head hit the dry dirt with a thud.

    “What is it?” she said sitting up and rubbing the back of her skull with one hand.

    “Be quiet. Listen carefully.”

    She held perfectly still and strained her ears. Then a faint noise was carried on the wind. It can’t be. But it was. Her heart soared they were saved, for amidst the dry desolation and absence of sounds of life could be heard the faintest reverberations of a, MOO…

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be the most creative contest I've ever seen. Kasie! Wow. I have to give some serious thought to this.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, love this contest! I'm SO entering. Just give me some time to out-do Candice's brilliant attempt. (Though that may be a futile endeavor.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this has to be the most creative contest ever! And the prize... well, that too!!

    I'm so bad at fantasy... this is why my book is all sciencey and real. But I want to do this just because it looks like such fun! So I'm off to sleep a bit on it, and I'll be back tomorrow!

    (And I agree – you had an amazingly awesome year!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kasie-Tomorrow night midnight. Bring on the Armageddon people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! That was a classic hook of a title... Your contest sounds fantastic, but since I live overseas, I'll forgo entering. Can't wait to read more though. You have a lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! This has been quite a year for you! I'm afraid I'm too late to come up with the last paragraph of the world's demise, but good luck to the rest of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay I've been thinking about this all weekend and still haven't thought of anything to match Kasie's. If I'm bored at work today I'll work on it.

    Great contest. I completely forgot about my one year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and congratulations on your 1 year, the baby and the European vacation!

    ReplyDelete