Monday, October 26, 2009

Apple Time!

I'm done, but the satisfaction of having written a book in just under two months is tempered by the knowledge that it will have to be completely rewritten. Remember when my middle was truly awful? My book is like a string that is tight at the beginning, but slowly becomes unraveled, leaving several loose strands at the end.

The one good thing about my ending is that, as a couple of you suggested, I now have fodder for a sequel. And I have a better idea of how I want it to end when I rewrite it. Of course I have a feeling that my "the end" may take several tries before I really mean it.

However, I'm done, only I want to say I'm "done." I was going to celebrate with one of those big crunchy caramel apples from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, but the bad parts of my manuscript want to mock me and ask me if I really deserve that big crunchy caramel apple.

But you know what, Ugly Rough Draft? You can't dissuade me because I am going to turn you into something beautiful. I think you have a lot of potential, even though right now your storyline changes so much you must have Multiple Manuscript Disorder. So there! Now for that caramel apple...

10 comments:

  1. Yeah!!!! You should take pride in the fact that you finished a book. Not everyone can say that. Don't get bogged down in the rewrites, at least not yet. Enjoy your success. Go get your apple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve the apple (I love those by the way--tiger butter, yum). The first draft is hard! Rewrites are hard too, but give yourself a few days before you worry about those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, Me too!! I finished yesterday. So, congratulations to you and, just because I'm feeling happy with myself, congratulations to me too!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy...carmel apples....hmmmm. Was that what your post was about because the minute you mentioned them that's all I could think about? (You deserve to celebrate. There are always rewrites, but each step should be cheered.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti-I am definitely going to take a little break from my book. I just have a hard time taking a break from writing, and I've already started a new book. (But I have convinced myself it is 'just-a-break' book, not one I'm really taking seriously.)

    Corey-Thanks!

    Natalie-Ooh, tiger butter. I'll have to check that one out.

    Candice-Yea! Congratulations! You've been working on this one longer and so I'm sure it is in MUCH better shape than mine. Mine is embarrassed to be seen by anyone but me. It feels naked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! Now comes the fun part. Really. I love revision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go!! Just one of many accomplishments, I'm sure! Enjoy your apple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kasie-So you like caramel apples, too? We may need to rethink this whole nemesis thing.

    Jessica, Caroline, Maria-Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caramel apples are my favorite! And congrats on finishing your rough draft. I am totally impressed! I bet it's better than you are giving yourself credit for. Love the "Multiple Manuscript Disorder". haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum. Those apples look amazing. Congrats on the rough.

    ReplyDelete