Thursday, September 10, 2009

The End

No, not the end of my manuscript.

The end of my iBook.

Today, my computer crashed. I mean, it really crashed, as in it slipped off my pregnant lap onto the floor and crashed. It wasn't much of a fall, but enough to kill the seven-year old Mac.

Luckily, I had backed up my file with the exception of maybe 1000 words, which I will reclaim tonight.

So the Latin Litigating Lover and I had a talk. Could we afford a new laptop? Well, we figured if A + B divided by the square root of X equals maybe we can afford it, then maybe we can.

So we did. Only I just wanted my husband's laptop's twin while he tried to convince me to get the one with the bigger screen.

In the end, I said you take the big screen brand new laptop. I'll take your laptop. So husband is happy because now he has new electronics. I am happy because now my laptop isn't an old man. And he is kind of pretty.

P.S. New laptop is not a Mac. I know a lot of writers dream of Macs, but I had one for seven years and decided it was nothing very special for way too much money. Give me my second-hand Toshiba anyday.

P.S.S. I would take a picture of my Toshiba, but I've been dropping more than just laptops lately. And my camera is at Kodak being repaired from its recent fall.

11 comments:

  1. Dropping things? Hmm... wonder what Freud would have to say about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your new machine inspires your Muse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny, my desktop died yesterday. It just gave up the ghost. So Neal and I started looking at new Macs to replace it. It's like we're living parallel lives in reverse. :) Oh yeah and the laptop I'm working on until I get my new desktop (I prefer writing at a desktop computer) is a Toshiba.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corey-Ha! I'd like to blame it on pregnancy, but I've been dropping things all my life.

    Ron-Thanks, my muse was always a little nervous that all of its work would be wasted on end-of-life ibook.

    Jessica-There is not very much to my laptop. I can type on it. I can use the internet. And that makes me happy. I was having to go between two computers for writing and internet, too. It's nice to have one for both uses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candice-Well, at least yours just gave up the ghost. I hastened the end of my computer's life. I know, I'm a little backward...going from Mac to PC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still a Mac person. I work on a PC at work and a Mac at home. One day I'll get a laptop, maybe Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed.

    Good to see your word count expanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I know it may be old hat to you, but I still get giddy to even hear about other people getting Macs. They're the BEST!

    *kisses Beloved several times*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, there's nothing more frustrating that losing your computer! I'm glad you got a replacement so fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Macs overrated???? Oh no, you are on my list. :) I'm glad you have a semi new baby to work on. I'm sorry to hear you're dropping things. Blame the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always get the hand-me-down technology, but I like it that way. Then I never have to figure out how to solve the problems....somebody before me already did!

    Hurray for your laptop!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kasie-I think I've hit my dropping maximum for the rest of my pregnancy.

    Shelley-I agree. No problems on this laptop. (My husband is already having problems on his new laptop.)

    ReplyDelete