Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Perfection, Confessions, and My Savior

I have not posted lately because I have been too busy achieving perfection. And I would like to announce that after almost thirty years it has been done.

What is a perfect Jessie?

- I retire every night at ten o'clock, and wake up at 4:00 AM because I only need six hours of sleep. I never get tired during the day. Not even pregnant tired. Never.

- I usually take the first few hours before the household awakes to write 5,000 words of my almost completed novel, do thirty minutes of Namaste yoga, do my hair and makeup, and whip up a small breakfast feast for my family.

- I have a full year's worth of food storage, attend the temple weekly (even though the nearest temple is in Omaha), plan and conduct weekly Family Home Evenings, and my visiting teaching record is 100%. (A little cryptic if you don't go to my church, but you get the point.)

- I budget montly and never overspend, not even to buy books. Not that a budget is really important. We are filthy rich. People send me money just because they like me.

- I plan and cook healthy meals for my family nightly and still stay within aforementioned budget. My family loves, praises, and eats all of said meals. And my husband (who happens to be perfect, too) never pours hot sauce over his salmon to disguise its taste. He loves fish. All kinds.

- I don't speed. Ever. Not even 5 over. Not even when I am late. But oh yeah, I'm perfect. So, I am always on time.

- I've trained my son well. He always goes down at the same time every night. He never wakes up in the middle of the night, or tries to get in bed with us. He enjoys sleeping. It's his favorite thing.

- My house is always clean. There are no dishes in my sink. There are no sugar crystals on my kitchen floor from making chocolate cookies with my son. And there are definitely not lipstick marks on my white comforter from my son's artistic outbursts.

Well, I could go on, but I don't want to boast because perfect people don't boast.

But really, how hard are you on yourself for not being perfect, for not attaining what you think would make you a better you?

- Because I wake up when my son wakes up, and then I try to convince him that it is still nighttime-even though the sun is streaming through the window.

- My yoga mat lies untouched and rolled up in my family room from a sudden surge several months ago that I would be fit and do yoga.

- See my word meter?

- Because if there was a natural disaster, I think we would survive for about five days on our food storage, and maybe we would only be eating biscuits.

- Budget? What's that? Can someone please tell me.

- (My husband hates fish.) And sometimes we eat pizza.

- I am always fifteen minutes late.

- Because my son didn't come with an instruction manual. He's not trained. The "Scaries" have been invading his sleep lately. He likes to kick one of us out of bed.

- And finally, my son, the pro-Imitator, sums up the state of my house by this picture.



When I was driving the other day I read a bumper sticker that read, "With Christ there are no limits." And I remembered that I can be perfected one day but not without Christ. And by then maybe I'll understand better that perfection isn't measured by how well I can do a sun salutation or by how clean my floors were.

"We will not attain a state of perfection in this life, but we can and should press forward with faith in Christ along the strait and narrow path and make steady progress toward our eternal destiny." David A Bednar

And that is hopeful.

4 comments:

  1. I read a quote by Joseph B. Wirthlin in reference to the scripture "Be ye therefore perfect."

    "The Greek word translated as perfect means 'complete, finished, fully developed.' Our Heavenly Father wants us to use this mortal life to 'fully develop' ourselves, to make the most of our talents and abilities."

    That quote has really stuck with me. It's not about being the best at everything but making the most of our talents and I've decided that my talent is not house cleaning.

    On another note, congratulations on another 1000 words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! You cracked me up. And it was a little weird reading "What is a perfect Jessie?" since that's my name. Heh.

    So true, and I find hope in Jesus too. Cute (and true) post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti-I remember that quote. And we have all been given such different talents. There is no cut-out standard for us, since we are unique sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father.

    And I've almost got another 1000 words. If I measure that against no standard but my own, that is good.

    Jessica-So are you a perfect Jessie, too? :) I know you find hope in Jesus, and I think that you striving to write about His message through fiction is great. You are definitely using your talents for a higher purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have to admit after the first paragraph - i thought you were serious. I was like 4am really? then i caught on. Im not perfect - Im a little slow. :)

    ReplyDelete