Monday, April 6, 2009

Once Upon A Dream

While writing last week, a new hero stepped into my book. I had not planned for him. I already had a hero for my MC, but apparently now I have two. Which is okay with me because that makes the love story much more interesting.

At these early stages my hero wasn't quite formed. I only knew he existed. But who was he really?

And then I dreamt him.

Actually, my dream was more like a hero lineup. There were several, and one burly, dusky-haired hero was particularly insistent. But I didn't choose him. I chose him. The shaggy blond-haired, brown-eyed, broad-shouldered, gentle-featured hero who was so kind, so assured, so loving and wise. I fell in literary love.

I saw him in my mind's eye. But what was his name? I discussed names a few posts ago, and there are so many ways a name may come. And this name had to be perfect. Then, while scanning my book spines, looking for inspiration among the Classics, I found one. Rawdon. Oh, Rawdon, you are perfect.

10 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Shaggy hair is a must! LOL I'm so jealous of everyone who dreams up scenes and characters for their books. I want to have a cool dream like that. LOL
    Can I come over and drink some of your water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is Rawdon from? Oh, I want to know!

    And I'm IN LOVE with your phrase Literary Love. That calls for a blog post right there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I was going to post something brilliant and witty, but Lady Glamis said it all very succinctly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have known that, although I haven't read Vanity Fair, only seen the movie. I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the book is so good, especially the secondary love story of Amelia and Dobbin. I love it. I want to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent name. Now I want to go read Vanity Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good book. It is a very unique book in that the main character is not REALLY the heroine. You want to slap Becky Sharp throughout most of the book. The heroine for me was the secondary character of Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name Rawdon! Dang, I wish I'd thought of it first. ;)

    And, I'm liking the sound of two heroes. :) You gotta love the triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is a little Vanity Fair trivia. Did you know that in the movie (which does have a few primary differences from the book, namely in the book Becky does NOT have a happily every after in India with Joseph Sedley AND Amelia comes to Dobbin on her very own) Rawdon Jr. is played by Robert Pattinson?!

    Renee, I think I have spelled your name as "Rene" a few times, but it is only because my father-in-law is Rene. And I don't confuse you with a sixty-seven year old Peruvian man. Your names are just so alike. I love the name "Renee." I wanted to name a daughter "Renee," but I don't think it will fly with the in-laws.

    And if my Rawdon doesn't get published, you can have him. Oh, not HIM. But you can have the name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I like that name. And way to have productive dreams. Mine are just weird and slightly disturbing.

    ReplyDelete