Tuesday, March 31, 2009

How to Trick Blogger into Letting you Post Sound

I want to upload an audio file! I spent time last night and this morning attempting this impossible thing. Has anyone successfully done this before? Any advice?

April 3, 2009

I sent up above red flag a few days ago. And since learning what I thought was the impossible, I've wanted to share the "how-to's" on how to upload an audiofile to your post. If I save one person from the hair-pulling experience I went through, that will be enough.

I am not computer smart. I am borrowing what I learned from the internet and from Natalie, who I discovered is brilliant in other things besides writing, drawing, and blogging.

First of all, there is a very and truly impossible way to actually embed the audiofile into your post. I spent a long time on the internet trying to figure this out. In the end, I didn't figure it out. But that's okay. It would not have been my preferred method anyway because it requires publishing your audiofile some other place on the internet first. Then, figuring out that audiofile's URL or HTML code. Then plugging it in. Argh! Computer language. Not for me. I gave up.

So how to get around above? Put your audiofile into a video (with Windows Movie Maker or iMovie)? Simple, right?

Here are instructions on using Windows Movie Maker.

I made the mistake of using a different version of Windows Movie Maker than what is shown in the linked post. I made a video file on my husband's laptop, and blogger didn't accept this video. The file was a MSWMM instead of a WMM. ??? Anyway, I found that Blogger will reject something if it is not the correct file, or if it is not compressed enough. It is very picky.

Natalie explained how to upload a Quicktime file from iMovie. And she can correct me if I am not telling it right. You create the file very similar to above, only with a Mac it's a lot of drag and drop. Actually much easier. (Sorry PC.) To export though is a little different.

1) Go to "file"
2) Select "export"
3) Then you can export to "web"

This will compress the video to 2MB. And here I'll quote Natalie, "Blogger doesn't like huge."

Too bad Blogger, because I intend to be larger than life.

So there it is.

Again, I am not a smart computer woman, but hope I can save someone from having to figure this awful mystery out. And for the finished product you can go here.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen it on Kiersten's site. She might be able to help you.

    ReplyDelete